Bad breath, or is commonly called halitosis, is an unpleasant odor coming from the mouth.
Facts :It is caused by odor-producing bacteria that grow in the mouth. When one doesn’t brush and floss regularly, bacteria accumulate on the bits of food left in the mouth and between the teeth. The sulfur compounds released by these bacteria make breath smell.
Reasons :Poor dental hygiene, dental infection, cavities can all contribute to halitosis. The bacteria that break down these food particles release chemicals that smell bad.
Some Home Made Remedies:
- Salt water rinse– Add some salt to a glass of warm water,mix it well and swish or gurgle the water for 30 sec around the mouth and teeth and repeat.Bad odor gone!
- Cloves -Simply suck a clove a few times a day,it helps in fighting bacteria.
- Apple cider vinegar – to get rid of the bad odor,mix it with a glass of water,and swish around the mouth.
- Use alcohol free mouthwash.
- Use tea tree oil- add a few drops of tea tree oil to brush while brushing teeth.
A Proper oral hygiene/bad breath blasting/ routine should include :
- Brushing after every meal and flossing twice a day.
- Regular dental check ups and cleanings.
- Replacing toothbrush every 3 months.
- Periodically brushing the tongue to remove bacteria
- Cleaning dentures or dental appliances thoroughly at least once a day.
- Avoid dry mouth.
- Adjust your diet.
If an unpleasant smell still persists,it is highly recommended to visit a dentist.There is nothing to be worried about.Its all common,its just we should be aware about this.