Vermicelli upma is a delicious upma variant made with vermicelli, vegetables, cashews and herbs. It is a very popular south Indian breakfast recipe.
1.Nutritionally vermicelli is calorie-dense and high in carbs, fat and cholesterol free low in sodium.
2.A great alternative to other forms of pasta and oats liked by all irrespective of age.
Easy to make and tastes delicious.What do one need more??Veggies like grated carrots, steamed peas, grated cabbage, boiled sweet corn and steamed green beans are added to bring more flavour and it is optional.Vermicelli upma can be made without these veggies also with only onion.
So the recipe can be ready in less than 30 minutes.
Prep Time:10 -15 mins,Cook Time:15 mins,Total Time:25 mins
- First, heat a pan. Keep the heat to a low. Take the vermicelli strands and break them.And add in the pan. On low heat, it begins to roast the vermicelli.Stir often.Roast till the Vermicelli strands become golden.
- After that put the roasted Vermicelli in a separate plate.Now in the same pan add 2 tablespoons oil or ghee. Keep the heat low and add some mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds begin to crackle, add some cumin seeds and urad dal .Stir and fry till the urad dal starts turning light golden.After turning light golden, add cashews or roasted peanuts.Mix well.
- Now add finely chopped onions.Stir and mix.Then add the following ingredients like finely chopped ginger,1 green chili (chopped),7 to 8 curry leaves,1 dry red chili.Mix it well.
- sauté till the onions turn translucent and raw flavour goes away.Then add water.Then add pinch of sugar as per taste.Add salt as required.Increase the heat to high and bring the water mixture to a boil.
- After that, lower the heat and add the roasted vermicilli.Keep the heat low and let the vermicilli cook.Simmer till all the water is absorbed and the vermicelli has become soft and cooked well.Then off the heat and add chopped coriander leaves.A drizzle of lemon juice(optional) elevates the flavors more.Our hot Vermicelli/Semiya upma is ready.