The brain is a central and complex organ of our body that not only controls but also coordinates actions and reactions like our thinking process,thoughts, memory, emotions, touch, thirst,motor skills, vision, breathing, temperature, hunger and every normal process that regulates our body.
Why we should do Brain exercises:
Doing certain types of brain exercises not only helps boosting our memory, but also increases concentration, and focus which makes our daily tasks quicker and easier to do, and thus keeps our brain sharper as we age further.It is very essential to hone our mental sharpess in every stage of our life.
Some exercises that offer the best brain-boosting benefits are :
1. Have fun with a jigsaw puzzle:It has shown that doing jigsaw puzzles helps in developing cognitive abilities .It is a great way to challenge and exercise our brain.
2. Try hands at cards: A game of cards really ? Studies have found that a game of cards could improve memory and thinking skills.Try learning one of these tried-and-true card games like uno,bridge,poker &Hearts.
3. Build vocabulary :A rich vocabulary has a way of making our brain sound and smart.The ways which can help us increase our vocabulary are :Keeping a notebook with us when we read.Writing down one unfamiliar word, then look up the definition and using it in sentences.
4. Dance your heart out:Learning new dance moves can increase our brain’s processing speed and memory. We can always try different dance moves like a salsa, tap, hip-hop,zumba,jazz or any contemporary dance class.
5.Use all your senses:Using all our senses can really help us strengthen our brain. For eg., we can try baking a batch of cookies or visit a farmer’s market, or trying in a new restaurant etc.
6. Learn a new skill:Learning a new skill is not only fun and interesting, but also also helps in strengthening the connections in our brain and keeping it sound.
7.Listening to good music :Listening to good music or happy tunes helps generate more innovative solutions and also helps in boosting our creative thinking and brain power.
8.Taking a new route:Don’t get stuck in a path when it comes to your daily tasks. Instead, be willing to try new ways to do the same things.
9. Meditate & Exercise:Daily meditation and Exercise can calm our body, slow our breathing, and reduce stress and anxiety.
10. Learn a new language:Researchers has found many cognitive benefits of being able to speak more than one language.
11. Take up tai chi:Taking up a regular practice of tai chi can help reduce stress, enhance sleep quality, and improve memory.
12.Sleeping: Sleep is crucial for both the brain and the body and atleast 7- 9 hours of sleep is required for adults. Sleep not only helps in boosting memory and reducing mental fatigue but also regulate metabolism.
13.Engaging in Sports :It is definitely one of the ways to keep our brain active and sound.
14.Taking up engaging hobbies:Engaging in a new hobby can activate a person’s motor skills by many ways.It can include:
- Knitting & Embroidery
- Drawing & Painting
- Dancing & Singing
- Learning a musical instrument