Rishikesh is known as the Yoga and meditation center of India. It’s a beautiful place to discover peace of mind and spirituality. Situated in Dehradun district of the Indian northern state of Uttarakhand, it is called the Gateway to the Garhwal Himalayas. It is quite close to Haridwar and Dehradun. It is regarded as a holy place for Hindus and many tourists from India and abroad flock to this place to gain peace of mind and learn Hindu tradition. We had an opportunity to visit this beautiful place in the beginning of 2020. What an incredible experience it was!
Greeted by fresh air and serene mountains, it was a wonderful feeling. I have shared some details about my trip – hope that it helps you to plan and have a great time here!
Hotel Ishan, a Riverside Retreat by Salvus – This hotel has a fabulous location and view, being just next to Lakshman Jhula. The hotel is tastefully decorated with comfortable rooms and good food.
Top activities –
- Visit Laxman Jhula – A suspension bridge across the river Ganges, it is an iconic landmark in Rishikesh. It was exciting to walk on this bridge and just watch the Ganga flowing below you.
- NeelKanth Mahadev – Situated 32 kms from Rishikesh, this temple dedicated to Lord Shiva can be reached within an hour from Rishikesh
- River rafting at Shivpuri – Located at a distance of 19 kilometres from Rishikesh, tourists can go to Shivpuri to enjoy activities like trekking, camping, kayaking and river rafting.
- Experience the Ganga Aarti – The Ganga Aarti is a unique experience which is performed at sundown on the banks of the river Ganga. Chanting of hymns, the lighting of numerous huge ‘diyas’ (lamps) and the rushing river make it an unforgettable experience
When to visit:
- November to February: The weather is great and you can avoid some of the crowds which happen in Feb to May period
- February to May: For people interested in yoga, the international Yoga festival happens in March.
- White water rafting happens throughout the year (September – June), barring a few months
How to get there:
By air: The closest airport is Jolly Grant Airport in Dehradun which 35km from Rishikesh
By train: Rishikesh railway station is the closest railway station
By road: Buses and cabs ply to and from Rishikesh from places like Delhi, Dehradun and elsewhere. The journey is quite enjoyable as one can experience
- A trip to Rishikesh can be combined with Musoorie and Haridwar
- Non vegetarian food & alcohol is strictly prohibited in this place.
Brought back beautiful memories of a family trip! Nicely put up.
Thank you for your sweet words di.Would love to go back again!