Khichdi recipe is a dish made with rice and moong dal. It is a light, nutritious and comforting dish for all kinds of people irrespective of their age. It is normally eaten when someone is ill, with a bad stomach or just craving comfort food. It can be eaten with curd, pickle or papad.
Lentil : Moong Dal, Rice, Veggies(tomato & onion), curry leaves, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, green chilli, ghee, turmeric powder, red chilli powder,coriander powder, salt, garlic and water.
1. Rinse 1 cup moong lentils and 1 cup rice together. Soak both of them for about 30 minutes in water and then drain the water and set aside.
2. Now heat 2 tablespoons of ghee in a pressure cooker and add 1 teaspoon cumin seeds and mustard seeds. When the cumin & mustard seeds begins to splutter, add finely chopped onions, curry leaves and garlic.
3. Saute until the above soften and then add chopped tomatoes, chopped green chilies and salt and mix well.
4. After stirring the tomatoes, add the spices like turmeric powder,red chilli powder and coriander powder. At the end, add a pinch of asafoetida and saute well.
5. Add the drained rice and moong lentils to the pressure cooker and stir well for about a minute. Add water and mix it properly. Close the lid tightly and pressure cook for 10 minutes or 7 to 8 whistles on high heat.
6. After it cools down, stir the khichdi and top with ghee before serving.
Our Kichdi is ready and you can have it with Mango Pickle.
Life saver favourite.