A Jyotirlinga(In Hinduism) is dedicated to Lord Shiva,who is considered to be the Lord of the Gods.It is sacred, holy and devotional representation of Lord Shiva.There are 12 Jyotirlingas in India.It is believed that if one visits and has Darshan of Lord Shiva, he will attain Mukti or liberation of the cycle of life. Lord Shiva is called as Bholenath (Innocent God). He blesses people with only pure devotion.He likes Belapatra and his day falls on Monday.The Mantra which will give you immense peace and happiness is “OM NAMAH SHIVAYA” & “MAHAMRITYUNJAYA MANTRA”
The 12 Jyotirlingas are :
- Kashi Viswanath : one of the most famous temple and also called Golden Temple of Varanasi, situated in the riverbanks of Ganga.
- Kedarnath : Situated in the Garhwal himalayan range near Mandakini river, in the state of Uttarakhand. It opens for only 6 months.
- Rameshwaram: It is located in the state of Tamil Nadu. It is related to the great Ramayan tales and considered to be one of the Char Dhams of India.
- Mallikarjuna : It is located in Srisailam in Kurnool district of the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh. Srisailam is considered to be both Jyotirlinga and Shakti Peeth.
- Nageshwar : It is situated in the Devbhoomi Dwarka in Gujarat.
- Trimbakeshwar : It is situated in the Nashik district of Maharashtra.The temple has three lingas (an iconic form of Lord Shiv) representing Lord Shiv, Lord Vishnu and Lord Brahma.
- Bhimashankar : It is located near Pune in Maharashtra .It is 127 km from Shivajinagar in the Ghat region of the Sahyadri Mountains.
- Grishneshwar : sometimes referred to as the Ghrneshwar or Ghushmeshwar Temple, that is referenced in the Shiva Purana. This pilgrimage site is located in Ellora,very near to Ellora Caves,about 30 kilometres from the city of Aurangabad.
- Somnath :It is situated in the western coast of Gujarat.
- Omkareshwar : It is situated on an island called Mandhata or Shivpuri in the narmada river of Khandwa district in Madhya Pradesh.
- Mahakaleshwar : It is located in the ancient city of Ujjain ,in the state of Madhya Pradesh ,on the river banks of the holy river KShipra.
- Baidyanath : It is located in Deoghar in the state of Jharkhand.
Kedarnath and Rameshwaram were beautiful.
Lucky you:) I so so wish to have Darshan of Mahadev.